Call to Artists, Makers, Engineers
The 3rd Annual Lafayette Lantern Walk “Lit From Within” is happening the evening of September 11 on Simpson Street, beginning at Church of the Arts and ending at Miner’s Park. The Lantern Walk, produced by Art Garden LLC in conjunction with local artists, small businesses and public organizations, is an inclusive, intergenerational event designed to bring the community together to celebrate art and the changing of the seasons. The Walk symbolizes bringing your inner light to the outer community as the nights lengthen. Attendees make a simple lantern when they arrive or at workshops prior to the Walk. When the sun sets, we have a nighttime procession with our lit lanterns.
Each year, we highlight artist-made lanterns at the Walk. This year, we are lucky to have the beautiful East Simpson Street Coffee and Art Space to show the lanterns beginning August 28 thru September 30. We encourage all Lafayette artists to work within their medium to create a piece responding to the theme Lit From Within with a strong emphasis on lanterns. 2D work that strongly fits the theme Lit From Within will be considered, especially if it is actually lit.
- Lanterns must be lightweight enough to be hung by light ceiling hooks (vs. anchored hooks) unless they are meant to be seated on surface.
- Lanterns that require electric light must include the light and extension cord and must be safe for continuous, extended time that they are lit.
- Flames are not allowed.
- Maximum lantern size is 3’ x 3’
- Lanterns will be displayed indoors so do not need to be weather proof.
- We encourage you to submit as many pieces as you think fit the theme, both 2D and 3D.
- We strongly encourage you to use a medium not typically used to make lanterns though we will also accept those made of traditional materials.
- To see the space, go to http://www.eastsimpsoncoffee.com.
Artwork must be installed and ready to display on Friday, August 28 between hours of 3 PM and 7 PM. Plan to assist in the hanging of the work that day. If you are unable to attend that day, you may drop off your work Thursday, the 27 and it will be stored. If you drop off, please be aware that we will be choosing where and how it is displayed.
Artwork must be picked up by 6 PM on Wednesday, September 30 or it will go to storage where arrangements can be made to pick it up at a later date, limited by the storage schedule. We cannot absolutely guarantee against damage after the 30th though we will make every effort to protect the work.
Fees and Recognition
- Entry fee of $20 per application.
- Chosen work will be included in a strong promotional campaign for the Lantern Walk.
- Chosen work will hang in one of Lafayette’s most popular communal gathering spaces for one month.
- Work may be listed for sale. Commission fee of 20%.
Art Garden LLC and East Simpson Street Coffee will have the right to graphically reproduce accepted work through print, film, or electronic media for documentary, educational and promotional purposes.
Preference will be given to:
- Lafayette, Colorado residents
- 3D lanterns that hang.
- There is limited space for lanterns that sit on surfaces. (there will not be pedestals)
- Work that is lit via solar or battery powered sources. No candles, please.
- 2D works that strongly fit the theme.
- Work that stretches both the medium to match the theme or the idea of “lantern.”
- Work that is well executed with strong craftsmanship.
To apply, each artist must submit the following materials by email with the following requirements:
- In body of email, the name of artist with contact information—address, phone, email (and website link if available)
- $20 Application Fee via button on this page or send check to Art Garden LLC, 410 West Street, Louisville, CO 80027. Made payable to: Art Garden LLC. Your application will be considered once payment is received.
- Description of your piece and how it will be lit.
- Digital images of the piece from different angles, and , if applicable, both lit and unlit. If there are multiple pieces, please be sure each piece is identified in every photo. File names should follow this convention: Artist Name_Title or Description of Work_Number (If work includes more than one piece.) JPEG’s only, please.
- By sending this application, you will be agreeing to the terms outlined in this Call for Entry and will sign an additional insurance form upon delivery of your work.
We look forward to seeing your work and hope to be showing your Lit From Within piece this year!Please e-mail Paula Slick at email@example.com with any questions.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
Please send proposals to: firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on August 24, 2015. Entry fee must also be made by this deadline to be considered.
We do not provide refunds for application fees.
We at Art Garden LLC have the utmost respect for our applicants’ privacy. We will not release any information gathered in applications. We use this information to be in contact with applicants throughout the call for and showing of artwork only. Any privacy concerns should be directed to Paula Slick, Director.